Sunday, December 8, 2013

Post Class 12/4, AsToldByGinger

In Appadurai's reading she speaks of globalization as "a fluid and dynamic phenomenon tied to worldwide migrations (both voluntary and involuntary) and the dissemination of images and texts via electronic media" (M 508). I feel that this reading relates so much to our current society and I liked what Ruqayyah had so say about this in the sense of the family; I also notice and somewhat look in disagreement at those families I see in restaurants or other public placed glued to their cell phones instead of making eye contact and conversation with those around them. I also dislike when I see small children glued to an iPad at the table and it seems as though the parents just force it into their hands so they don't have to deal with talking to the children or listening to them whine.

This also brought me back to many of our other previously discussed theorists and what they had to say about this virtual world we currently live in, such as Lyotard and his idea of verisimilitude as well as Baudrillar and simulacra, Žižek and the spectacle, Dorfman and the supernatural bridge, and finally Jenkins and participatory culture. I feel that Appadurai really summed up and tied together so many theorists and the idea of mass globalization in an interesting and enlightening way, and that the other theorists would agree with the thoughts she proposed.

Going back to what Ruqayyah said, I think that our social interactions with one another are extremely valuable and important, and believe that such social skills and connections are dwindling with the ever increasing use of technology that has replaced our physical connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment