Sunday, November 17, 2013

Higgins-Post Class

It was pretty apparent to me what I was going to write for this post the moment in class I was presented with an article that discussed an ex-NFL players decision to one day just leave the league in mid-season. What made this a troublesome thought to me was why he said he did it, because he read Chomsky's book and that created a life changing moment for him. Do I believe in moments where people can have a sudden life altering realization, yes i do but some things need to be addressed first. This guy is in a position many people would kill for and he has been playing for so long I just don't believe a book could change someone that drastically without having other factors come into play.

As a culture we are constantly being shaped and form from the different social shifts and pressures, so I understand when push comes to shove some people need to take a break. As for leaving the NFL over a book, doesn't seem logical in my eyes, who knows there may be more to the story. The theorist Chomsky is always presenting complex ideologies that leave many with a new outlook. The thing I would feel that could be related to Chomsky's presence of leaving one wanting to change their lives, would be the concept of faith/religion. Never have I seen more examples of people changing things in there day to day life than from the teachings they get from religion. In my opinion, that has always been something very interesting to me and I intend to look into it more.

One could also connect Chomsky and religion from how the theorist texts and those of the religious texts(bible) have documented cases of life altering realizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment