Sunday, September 22, 2013

AsToldByGinger, Post Class 5/18


During class on Wednesday we discussed the various forms of postmodern architecture and examined many works that embodied the concepts that Jenks explained. These examples were particularly enjoyable due to the fact that I could relate these examples to other buildings I had seen on my own, as well as absorb the concepts in a real way.
I enjoyed the concept of double coding and how the example used revealed the duality of the building, - a Greek front with columns, and Judeo looking back of the building painted blue. I also particularly liked the concept of tradition reinterpreted and the crane example that was located in Europe - I like the history that is associated with something like that and will be on the lookout for more landmarks that employ this concept.
Baldwin Park
The concept of urbane and urban living was also brought up, and the local town of Baldwin Park was discussed; and the way in which this neighborhood was built on the premise of harmony and close living. This concept also heavily interested me because it seems to be the way of the future and responsible living. I think it is a great concept to be able to work, live, and have entertainment all within walking distance, reducing our harm on the environment also while keeping citizens more active. 
Bank of America Building
I also enjoyed the concept of absent center and how it related back to “the gap” from the Barthes reading and how we fill in the missing pieces with our own eyes. I have seen many buildings like this, and it is nice to now recognize this concept. The same is also true for the Bank of America building located in down town Orlando that utilized the new rhetorical figure by repeating a step structure at the top of the building.




No comments:

Post a Comment