Monday, September 16, 2013

Spallone - Readerly vs Writerly

When I think about the difference between Writerly and Readerly texts, it is of no surprise I have various ways in which I am able to communicate them. Here you have two types of literature; a cut-and-dry form used for the purpose of disclosing a particular point, and another form that uses equivocation to suggest multiple interpretations.

Readerly text, the cut-and-dry, concrete way makes me think of something like an invitation. You've got the who, what, where, when, and why - all in that order, as you'd expect them to be. All the details you need are there and there is no confusion about those details. Writerly text however comes off more as an ambiguous poem to me. I can't simply say that Writerly text make a point for clear interpretation, but more so, using it's vague, implicate nature, it suggests and serves as a different way, or vehicle of understanding something.

A great simile for Readerly/Writerly texts that comes to mind are Deductive and Inductive arguments. In a Deductive argument, the premises are always situated so that a conclusion follows with strict necessity. In an Inductive argument the premises are placed in a way that a conclusion is based upon probability ranging from 1-99.

I won't tell you which type of argument relates to the different texts we're talking about, but I think you can figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment