Sunday, September 29, 2013

27Percent, Lyotard

          Lyotard's What is Postmodernism made little sense to me. I am very confused on the concept he is actually getting at in this piece and could not decipher or try to understand a certain thing to blog about. I do know that Lyotard was mostly reiterating what other scholars have said about the arts of modernism and postmodernism, but it did not help me to understand what he was actually saying here. It would definitely benefit me if we were going to have a class discussion on this reading tomorrow, but hopefully we will have time on Wednesday's class.

         Lyotard did talk about how we are all interconnected culturally across the world. For example, he says that we listen to reggae music, we wear Parisian perfume in China and people where retro clothes in Hong Kong (42). I believe what he is saying here is that globally, we all use products of one another's culture and that "eclecticism is the degree zero of contemporary general culture" (42).

No comments:

Post a Comment