Friday, September 20, 2013

Post Blog

Wednesdays class was much easier for me to understand, as the visual aspect really helped me. It made me think about the buildings in my area, and i thought about any that has unusual styles of architecture. The first thing that popped to my mind was the union league in center city. It is a old style building and city club, that takes up nearly a entire block. It has a very traditional Colonial style to it, and it seems to fit in well with the architecture around. Philly blends older styles, with new buildings like the Comcast center that stands the tallest of all. This mixture creates a sense of postmodern, and modernism in the city. The postmodern in Phily could be seen as the high rise buildings, as a reaction to the previous styles, and the need for a increased amount of space, while a small foundation area. The new style of heavily glassed look, and less stone and brick work, makes the city very diverse. My dads bank is a 20 plus story building, but it keeps the old colonial style to it, which to me; makes it feel very classic, and authentic. In new york, the apple building on the street portrays a glass cube, which to me feels like the french triangle that we talked about in class. Old style buildings with a very modern glass exterior. Could apple be trying to "copy" the glass triangle? The postmodern to some people may be a positive thing, but to me the older style colonial is what built the cities beautiful architecture, and i wish more "modern" style buildings filled the streets. To me its what gives places like orlando, no sense of authenticity or culture, as everything seems very postmodern.
Apple Store New York

The Comcast Center 
The Union League of Philadelphia

No comments:

Post a Comment