Friday, September 6, 2013

27percent, 9/4


         
We first began discussing modernism and modernity in a more general sense. We looked at the schematic differences of modernism and postmodernism in almost every aspect. Though we have all heard the definitions of modernism and postmodernism before, seeing and hearing the class converse about the side-by-side differences between the two eras made the ideas and theories become more clear to me. Once we started talking about the reading by Simon and Schuster, the idea of modernity and enlightenment was brought up. When Kant was asked what be believed was enlightenment, he answered “disciplinary formations.” He explained these disciplinary formations as an “organized sense of thought,” that came from enlightenment. I have read a few pieces by Kant before, but never really in depth learned and understood his ideas. I’m hoping this class will make theories and theorists more clearly to me than ever before. But I have decided to ‘unpack’ Kant’s modern idea of disciplinary formations and relate it to my life and the way I use organized thought routinely in my life.
          I use organized sense of thought everyday at lacrosse practice in preparation for big games and opponents. The game of lacrosse is more about your mental game than physical and in the end the team and the player that has the best mental game will come out in the end. The two techniques I most commonly use are visualization and self-talk throughout pregame warm-ups for games. Throughout the drills that we do as a team, I am constantly reinforcing myself with positive and confident self-talk. I have gotten better at using this type of organized thought throughout the years and one day I believe I will perfect it and be able to consistently use it to my advantage. The second is visualization that I utilize right before every game time. I visualize the speed of the game (all 60+) minutes, how I will start the game, the way I will carry out specific plays, how I will then redefend if the ball is lost, and how I will keep my composure even in the toughest and emotional moments. I believe Kant’s modernist idea of disciplinary formations is directly relevant to my life and the one’s who have taught me to think in this organized way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment