Tuesday, September 3, 2013

27percent, Nietzsche



        When I think about the term "modernity," many different words and images clutter my mind. These words and images also make me think of the type of person from this era. Modern people are complex and identify as those that wear many different hats. The theorist Nietzsche describes the modern man as "individuals," constantly trying to “individuate” themselves. Nietzsche describes the modern man as “Our instincts can now run back in all sorts of directions; we ourselves are a kind of chaos” (Nietzsche, 22). I think Nietzsche means that what makes up the modern man is pulled from every point and time in life; no one can completely identify as one thing and is constantly trying to identify as too many things, causing chaos. Nietzsche may be inclining that the modern person while trying to be the many things and beings they wish to be may also be hurting them simultaneously.
        Nietzsche also explains “no social role in modern times can ever be a perfect fit,” where we are constantly changing and taking on others because nothing is ever right and fulfilling (Nietzsche, 22-23). He relates this to the modern man seeking the costume that is right for him, yet failing and trying on more and more and never finding the right one. In the modern era, there is always a need for more and the unobtainable. This idea makes me think of my first year at Rollins College. I came into college with a high GPA from high school, but experiencing some challenges with test score requirements to get into Rollins. My ideas of if I were intelligent enough or if it would reflect my first semester was constantly troubling. I also had only planned on playing a sport and attending school, but then I had met a great group of friends that made me question my priorities. I then wanted to play a sport, go to class, rush a sorority, join clubs, attend campus events and quickly my freshman year had become completely chaotic. I myself was a chaotic being. I was constantly trying to take on many different roles to satisfy myself. It did take me until the end of the semester, plus rushing a sorority, dropping and doing one activity after another for me to realize I wasn’t ever fully content with everything I was doing and nothing was fitting for my personality.


No comments:

Post a Comment